How To Care For Damascus Steel Hunting Knife. Damascus Steel is an incredibly strong and beautiful metal, but it requires special care to keep it looking its best. Damascus Steel knives should never be placed in the dishwasher, as the harsh detergents can damage the metal. Instead, they should be hand-washed with warm water and mild soap. It's also important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives on Damascus Steel, as they can dull the blade. With proper care, your Damascus Steel knife will stay sharp and beautiful for many years. Here are a few simple tips for caring for your Damascus steel knife:
- always clean the blade after use, using warm water and a mild detergent;
- dry the blade thoroughly with a soft cloth;
- avoid leaving the blade damp for extended periods;
- store the blade in a dry, safe place when not in use;
- don't use harsh chemicals or abrasives on the blade;
- apply a thin coating of mineral oil and do not store the knife in its leather sheath for long periods; and
- have the blade professionally sharpened when needed.